The 2017 Compass Award competition is dedicated to the poetry of MARIA STEPANOVA.
Maria Stepanova is one of the most prominent and politically engaged Russian poets of our time. With more than a dozen poetry volumes to her name, she is also an accomplished journalist and a defender of the freedom of the press. Stepanova is the founder of Colta.ru, an online publication that is often likened to The New York Review of Books. She is the recipient of several Russian and international literary awards.
In 2017, Compass Award enters its seventh year, with prior competitions dedicated to Nikolay Gumilev, Marina Tsvetaeva, Maria Petrovykh, Arseny Tarkovsky, Boris Slutsky, and Bella Akhmadulina.
This year is the first time that we have honored a living poet. Unlike past Compass poets, Stepanova will have a chance to read the award winners’ translations of her work.
First prize: The Compass and 300 USD; Second prize: 150 USD; Third prize: 100 USD.
All winning entries will be published in Cardinal Points.
The deadline to submit translations of Maria Stepanova's poems is February 15, 2018. Please kindly adhere to the following submission guidelines. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One translated poem per entry (participant’s choice). Team entries are allowed.
- The translation, along with the Russian original, should be sent via email both in the body of the message and as an attached Word file at the Compass Contest email address (email@example.com) with the words “Stepanova Contest” in the subject line.
- Participant’s name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address should appear only on the cover page of the Word file.
- The contest entry fee is $20 per entry paid online through the Cardinal Points donation page. If for any reason – political, geographical, or technical – you are unable to submit your entry fee, please send a request for a fee waiver to the same address. The organizers consider such waivers as exceptions.
- The number of entries is not limited, but each entry is considered separately.
- With questions please write to Alexander Veytsman, Compass Award Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please follow us on Facebook.